The University of Minnesota has been awarded a National Resource Center (NRC) grant for International Studies and a second NRC grant for African Studies. By competitively earning this funding, the University becomes one of only nine programs in the country to be designated a comprehensive international center, and one of ten programs in African studies. The funding comes from the U.S. Department of Education’s Title VI program and totals more than $3.5 million over the next four years.
Much of this new funding will directly support students through the FLAS fellowship program. The remainder of the funding will be used for:
- Supporting outreach to K-14 educators.
- Strengthening U of M programs for less commonly taught languages.
- Enhancing international and African studies content in University curricula.
- Building scholarship in international and African studies through speakers series and colloquia.
- Assisting with the acquisition of library resources.